My main current research focus is on, broadly, undergraduate mathematics education. This includes the following:
- Understanding and developing flexible procedural knowledge in undergraduate mathematics students (joint work with Jon R. Star).
- Developing a theory of mathematicians’ future thinking – something I call mathematical foresight (joint work with Bill Barton, Reece Roberts, and Donna Rose Addis).
- Evaluating classroom models and their influence on student academic achievement and mathematical understanding.
Publications in undergraduate mathematics education are below.
- Maciejewski, W. (2020). Let Your Students Cheat on Exams. PRIMUS.
- Maciejewski, W. and Star, J. (2019). Justifications for Choices Made in Procedures. Educational Studies in Mathematics.
- Maciejewski, W. (2019). Future-oriented Thinking and Activity in Mathematical Problem Solving. In (Liljedahl, P. & Santos-Trigo, M., Eds.) Mathematical Problem Solving: Current Themes, Trends, and Research.
- Maciejewski, W. and Barton, B. (2016). Mathematical Foresight: Thinking in the Future to Work in the Present. For the Learning of Mathematics, 36(3).
- Maciejewski, W. (2016). Instructors’ Perceptions of their Students’ Conceptions: The Case in Undergraduate Mathematics. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 28(1).
- Maciejewski, W. and Star, J. (2016). Developing Flexible Procedures in First-year Calculus. Research in Mathematics Education. DOI: 10.1080/14794802.2016.1148626
- Code, W., Merchant, S., Maciejewski, W., Thomas, M., and Lo, J. (2016). The Mathematics Attitudes and Perceptions Survey: a New Instrument to Assess Expert-like Behaviour Among Undergraduate Mathematics Students. International Journal of Mathematics Education in Science and Technology. DOI: 10.1080/0020739X.2015.1133854
- Maciejewski, W. (2015). Flipping the Calculus Classroom: an Evaluative Study. Teaching Mathematics and its Applications. DOI: 10.1093/teamat/hrv019
- Maciejewski, W. and Merchant, S. (2015). Mathematical Tasks, Study Approaches, and Course Grades in Undergraduate Mathematics: A Year-by-year Analysis. International Journal of Mathematics Education in Science and Technology. DOI: 10.1080/0020739X.2015.1072881
Other education publications are as follows.
- Maciejewski, W. (2018). Observing Change in Students’ Attitudes Towards Mathematics: Contrasting Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches. PME-NA 40.
- Maciejewski, W. (2018). Changes in Attitudes Revealed Through Students’ Writing About Mathematics. PME 42.
- Arden, A., Hardy, N., and Maciejewski, W. (2018) Teaching First Year Mathematics Courses in Transition from Secondary to Tertiary. CMESG 2017.
- Maciejewski, W. (2018). On the Teaching of Procedures. CMS Notes.
- Maciejewski, W. (2017). Mathematical Knowledge as Memories of Mathematics. PME 41.
- Maciejewski, W., Roberts, R., and Addis, D.R. (2016). Episodic Future Thinking in Mathematical Situations. PME 40.
- Oates, G. and Maciejewski, W. (2016). Research Mathematicians & Mathematics Educators: Collaborations for Change. PME 40.
- Maciejewski, W. and Barton, B. (2016). A Framework for Students’ Mathematical Foresight. ICME ’13.
- Davies, B., Yoon, C., Griffith Moala, J., and Maciejewski, W. (2016). Principles for Designing Invention Tasks for Undergraduate Mathematics. ICME ’13.
- Maciejewski, W., Mgombelo, J., and Savard, A. (2011). Meaningful Procedural Knowledge in Mathematics Learning. In Liljedahl, P. (Ed.) Proceedings of the 2011 Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group, St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Kajander, A., Mason, R., Taylor, P., Doolittle, E., Boland, T., Jarvis, D., and Maciejewski, W. (2010). Multiple visions of teachers understandings of mathematics. For the Learning of Mathematics, 30, pp. 50-56.
I also have an interest in (community/technical) college mathematics education.
- Gula, T., Hoessler, C., and Maciejewski, W. (2015). Seeking mathematics success for college students: a randomized field trial of an adapted approach. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology.
- Maciejewski, W. (2012). A College-level Foundational Mathematics Course: Evaluation, Challenges, and Future Directions. Adults Learning Mathematics, 7, pp.20-31.
- Maciejewski, W. and Matthews, A. (2010). Who Are Community College Math Instructors? College Quarterly, 13(4).
In an alternate life I research mathematical biology. My primary focus was on the influence of population structure on the evolution of social behaviours, but have also worked on spider web geometry. The following are my published mathematical biology articles.
- Maciejewski, W. (2019). Orb-web Spiders as Bayesian Learners. The Science of Nature.
- Maciejewski, W. and Puleo, G. (2014). Environmental Evolutionary Graph Theory. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 360, pp. 117-128.
- Taylor, P. and Maciejewski, W. (2014). Hamilton’s Inclusive Fitness in Finite-structured Populations. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Series B, 369, 20130360.
- Maciejewski, W., Hauert, C., and Fu., F. (2014). Evolutionary Game Dynamics in Populations with Heterogeneous Structures. PLoS Computational Biology. DOI:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003567.
- Maciejewski, W. (2014). Reproductive Value on Evolutionary Graphs. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 340, pp. 283-293.
- Taylor, P. and Maciejewski, W. (2012). An Inclusive Fitness Analysis of Synergistic Interactions in Structured Populations. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 279, pp. 4596-4603.
- Maciejewski, W. (2012). Resistance and Relatedness on an Evolutionary Graph. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 69, pp. 511-517.
- Maciejewski, W. (2010). An Analysis of the Orientation of an Orb-Web Spider. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 265, pp. 604-608.