My main current research focus is on, broadly, undergraduate mathematics education. This includes the following:
- Understanding and developing flexible procedural knowledge in undergraduate mathematics students (joint work with Jon R. Star).
- Developing a theory of mathematicians’ future thinking – something I call mathematical foresight (joint work with Bill Barton, Reece Roberts, and Donna Rose Addis).
- Evaluating classroom models and their influence on student academic achievement and mathematical understanding.
Publications in undergraduate mathematics education are below.
- Maciejewski, W. (2018). Future-oriented Thinking and Activity in Mathematical Problem Solving. To appear in an ICME book on problem solving.
- Maciejewski, W. and Barton, B. (2016). Mathematical Foresight: Thinking in the Future to Work in the Present. For the Learning of Mathematics, 36(3).
- Maciejewski, W. (2016). Instructors’ Perceptions of their Students’ Conceptions: The Case in Undergraduate Mathematics. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 28(1).
- Maciejewski, W. and Star, J. (2016). Developing Flexible Procedures in First-year Calculus. Research in Mathematics Education. DOI: 10.1080/14794802.2016.1148626
- Code, W., Merchant, S., Maciejewski, W., Thomas, M., and Lo, J. (2016). The Mathematics Attitudes and Perceptions Survey: a New Instrument to Assess Expert-like Behaviour Among Undergraduate Mathematics Students. International Journal of Mathematics Education in Science and Technology. DOI: 10.1080/0020739X.2015.1133854
- Maciejewski, W. (2015). Flipping the Calculus Classroom: an Evaluative Study. Teaching Mathematics and its Applications. DOI: 10.1093/teamat/hrv019
- Maciejewski, W. and Merchant, S. (2015). Mathematical Tasks, Study Approaches, and Course Grades in Undergraduate Mathematics: A Year-by-year Analysis. International Journal of Mathematics Education in Science and Technology. DOI: 10.1080/0020739X.2015.1072881
Other education publications are as follows.
- Maciejewski, W. (2018). Observing Change in Students’ Attitudes Towards Mathematics: Contrasting Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches. PME-NA 40.
- Maciejewski, W. (2018). Changes in Attitudes Revealed Through Students’ Writing About Mathematics. PME 42.
- Arden, A., Hardy, N., and Maciejewski, W. (2018) Teaching First Year Mathematics Courses in Transition from Secondary to Tertiary. CMESG 2017.
- Maciejewski, W. (2018). On the Teaching of Procedures. CMS Notes.
- Maciejewski, W. (2017). Mathematical Knowledge as Memories of Mathematics. PME 41.
- Maciejewski, W., Roberts, R., and Addis, D.R. (2016). Episodic Future Thinking in Mathematical Situations. PME 40.
- Oates, G. and Maciejewski, W. (2016). Research Mathematicians & Mathematics Educators: Collaborations for Change. PME 40.
- Maciejewski, W. and Barton, B. (2016). A Framework for Students’ Mathematical Foresight. ICME ’13.
- Davies, B., Yoon, C., Griffith Moala, J., and Maciejewski, W. (2016). Principles for Designing Invention Tasks for Undergraduate Mathematics. ICME ’13.
- Maciejewski, W., Mgombelo, J., and Savard, A. (2011). Meaningful Procedural Knowledge in Mathematics Learning. In Liljedahl, P. (Ed.) Proceedings of the 2011 Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group, St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Kajander, A., Mason, R., Taylor, P., Doolittle, E., Boland, T., Jarvis, D., and Maciejewski, W. (2010). Multiple visions of teachers understandings of mathematics. For the Learning of Mathematics, 30, pp. 50-56.
I also have an interest in (community/technical) college mathematics education.
- Gula, T., Hoessler, C., and Maciejewski, W. (2015). Seeking mathematics success for college students: a randomized field trial of an adapted approach. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology.
- Maciejewski, W. (2012). A College-level Foundational Mathematics Course: Evaluation, Challenges, and Future Directions. Adults Learning Mathematics, 7, pp.20-31.
- Maciejewski, W. and Matthews, A. (2010). Who Are Community College Math Instructors? College Quarterly, 13(4).
In a former life I researched mathematical biology. My primary focus was on the influence of population structure on the evolution of social behaviours. The following are my published mathematical biology articles.
- Maciejewski, W. and Puleo, G. (2014). Environmental Evolutionary Graph Theory. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 360, pp. 117-128.
- Taylor, P. and Maciejewski, W. (2014). Hamilton’s Inclusive Fitness in Finite-structured Populations. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Series B, 369, 20130360.
- Maciejewski, W., Hauert, C., and Fu., F. (2014). Evolutionary Game Dynamics in Populations with Heterogeneous Structures. PLoS Computational Biology. DOI:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003567.
- Maciejewski, W. (2014). Reproductive Value on Evolutionary Graphs. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 340, pp. 283-293.
- Taylor, P. and Maciejewski, W. (2012). An Inclusive Fitness Analysis of Synergistic Interactions in Structured Populations. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 279, pp. 4596-4603.
- Maciejewski, W. (2012). Resistance and Relatedness on an Evolutionary Graph. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 69, pp. 511-517.
- Maciejewski, W. (2010). An Analysis of the Orientation of an Orb-Web Spider. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 265, pp. 604-608.